Friday, July 25, 2008

Joba, Mo, ohh yeah and MARTE/NADY!!!!!

There is nothing in the human language that I could say right now that would explain how happy I am with Joba's performance... Not only did he win at Fenway as a 22 year-old... he completely out-dueled the Sux ace... Striking out nine and walking one.. retiring the last ten batters he faced. He showed a dominant curveball and a few change-ups as well... The control of his fastball still astounds me... reaching back and being able to pinpoint a 97 mph + fastball is astounding.. well done.. The one run came off of the shift-benefitted single by Giambi... (slow roller hit about 3-5 feet to the right of 2nd base). That proved to be the only run, but that was all we needed.. Mo came on with 2 on and 1 out in the bottom of the 8th and completely shut down the Sox. In the ninth he allowed a hit and then struck out two on questionable called strike threes.. But how can you argue... the game is over.. the Yankees won.. Life is beautiful. 

Marte, Nady

Trade- Yankees receive Damaso Marte and Xavier Nady 
Pittsburgh receives Ohlendorf, Coke, Tabata, and Kontos..
Yankees-
Marte- 4-0 3.47 (33)
Nady- .330 15 HR 55 RBI (29)

My take- Amazing trade for the Yankees, amazing trade for Ohlendorf... Decent return for the Pirates.. (though honestly I think that they could have done better). 
Reasons this is good-
Tabata- attitude problems.. Still young (19) and about 2-3 years away from being ML ready.. (we still have A-Jax to play CF)
Ohlendorf- as I said I love Olie and am going to be glad to see him get some playing time hopefully as a full time starter. 
Coke- Have not had the chance to see him pitch, but understand that he was climbing through the system quickly. Lefty, Projectable 4-5 starter. He is 26 though.
Kontos- Seems like a pretty good righty.. 3.77 era down on the farm.. 

This trade has huge benefits for the Yankees and it gives them a couple of options-
A. Play Nady in RF DH Abreu LF Damon/Christian/Gardner (I think he will be gone for Washburn)
B. Nady LF Abreu RF DH Damon
C. DH Nady have Damon play LF full time... (I haven't seen Nady's arm yet but I have a feeling that it is better then Damon's... so i'm thinking I like option B the best).

Next Question-
Who leaves the pen?
is it going to be..
Hawkins- Hopefully they DFA him.
Robertson- He has shown he can handle ML hitter's so I hope not.
Giese- I would rather him stay on as the Long reliever.

Random-
When are we going to see Aceves? I guess as we are on a 7 game winning streak, it will not be soon... but you never know.. I understand he is currently still limited to pitch counts because of his injury, but I cannot wait to see him in the stripes.

2 comments:

Ross said...

Dear Yankee bloggers -

First off, I am sorry in advance if I have already contacted you about this.

I just started a new blog as a continuation of my old one - NYYStadiumInsider.com.

The blog is now called "New Stadium Insider" (http://newstadiuminsider.com)

If possible, can you please link to this site, but also leave the link to NYY Stadium Insider if you had one before? I had a lot of good stuff there that I am keeping up as an archive.

Please email me (ross at NYYStadiumInsider dot com) if we have not exchanged links before to confirm and I will gladly add you to my blogroll!

Thanks and Happy New Year -

Ross
http://newstadiuminsider.com

formerly
htttp://nyystadiuminsider.com

Rob Abruzzese said...

Hey, would you mind putting a link to my blog up on your site? I run www.bronxbaseballdaily.com.

Thanks.